By this point in John’s Gospel, Jesus Christ has been doing some weird stuff:
- He has changed water into wine.
- He has healed the Centurion’s Son, by his word.
- He has raised a long-term cripple.
- He has multiplied the fish and the loaves.
- He has walked on water.
- He has given sight to a man born blind.
He has also made some incredible claims:
- I am the Bread of Life
- I am the Light of the World
He adds to those incredible claims two more in the current passage (“I am the Gate” & “I am the Good Shepherd”). The signs that Jesus did are proof that Jesus really is who he claimed to be!